District and Association reach 2016-17 salary agreement
Although our current contract is in effect until August 2017, we negotiated a "reopener" on salaries if the legislature failed to provide at least a 3% increase in base salary for 2016-17. Since the legislature only provided a 1.8% increase, it automatically triggered salary negotiations with the district.
The district and LWEA met on May 11 to begin that negotiations process. We examined compensation in our surrounding and nearby districts, and discussed proposals that would keep Lake Washington competitive in attracting and retaining high quality educators.
Once we agreed upon a proposal, we took that proposal to the LWEA Executive Committee for their consideration and approval. The Committee voted unanimously to accept it, and sent it on to the building reps for their approval at yesterday's LWEA Rep Assembly meeting. Building reps voted unanimously to approve it.
Now it's your turn to vote---you'll receive an electronic ballot today with the proposal, along with voting for candidates for LWEA officers and Executive Committee. We encourage you to vote so that your voice is heard.
Here are the details of the proposal (the current salary schedule from this year and the proposed salary schedule are on the next two pages):
- Increase the base salary by 3.8% across the board.
- Increase LWEA-negotiated stipends by 3.8%.
- Increase the daily rate for substitute teachersfrom $153 to $159 ($182 for retired LWSD teachers), and retain the $1,000-$2,000 bonus.
- Add an "Attract and Retain" bonus of $500for 0-4 years of experience (currently there is no bonus at this level).
- Increase the "Attract and Retain" bonus for 5-9 years from $500 to $1,000.
- Increase the "Attract and Retain" bonus for 10-16 years from $1,500 to $2,000.
- Increase the "Attract and Retain" bonus for 17-20 years from $2,300 to $2,800.
- Increase the "Attract and Retain" bonus for 21-24 years from $3,600 to $4,100.
- Increase the "Attract and Retain" bonus for 25+ years from $6,200 to $9,000.